Updated: Oct 23
Although most of the damage occurred before 18 (about 80% of skin damage), it's never too late to turn healthy skincare tips into habits to maintain healthy, youthful looking skin for life. Most of us will live to be 100 or more! Both of my grandmas lived well into their 90s! Can you imagine what your skin will look like if you don't start now?!
Maintaining healthy skin requires a combination of good skincare practices, a healthy lifestyle, and protection from environmental factors. Here are some healthy skincare tips:
1. Double Cleansing: Use an oil based cleanser first to remove makeup, sunscreen, dirt and debris that accumulated throughout the day. Since oil dissolves oil, it's the best way to melt away pore clogging factors without stripping the skin. Next, use a gentle, sulfate-free cleanser to remove dirt, makeup, and excess oil from your skin. Wash your face twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime. DO NOT sleep with makeup!
2. Exfoliation: Exfoliating your skin 1-2 times a week can help remove dead skin cells, promote cell turnover, and keep your skin looking fresh. Use a mild exfoliant suitable for your skin type.
3. Moisturizing: Apply a good-quality moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. Even if you have oily skin, moisturizing is essential to maintain a healthy skin barrier.
4. Sun Protection: Protect your skin from UV rays by using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Sunscreen helps prevent sunburn, skin aging, and reduces the risk of skin cancer. Reapply every two hours if you're outdoors.
5. Healthy Diet: A balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can provide essential nutrients for healthy skin. Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins like A, C, and E are particularly beneficial.